Monday, March 19, 2012

Behind every great fisherman there's a Blue Heron!

While in Florida I made a significant observation while fishing. I'm sure you have heard of the saying, behind every successful man there's a great woman.  For fishermen in Florida, the saying should be, behind every great fisherman there's a Blue Heron. Why? Because the Blue Heron is always looking for a free meal and has apparently figured out how to spot a great fisherman. 

You can have two fishermen walk down to the dock and start fishing. The Blue Heron will strut around and then choose a fisherman to stand behind and wait for a free hand out. Sure enough the chosen fisherman will make catch after catch. How does the Blue Heron know, appearance, smell or luck? I'm just not sure but his choice is always correct. I was the other fisherman thinking pick me, pick me. The Heron never did. Anyway, if you look in the picture below you will find the Great Blue Heron.
A Great Blue Heron behind a Great fisherman, Pop.

Fishing in Lemon Bay.

Hmmm.... is that a bite?

Sure is! A spotted sea trout, too small and must be released. The spotted trout is really not a trout at all, it's in the sucker family. I'm not sure why it's called a spotted trout, maybe it's because it looks so much like a trout.

Sunset over Lemon Bay.

Get away from the big screen and get on a big stream!


No comments: