Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Surf and Turf Eating Heron?

Not long ago, I was lucky to be on a small lake in my kayak and a Great Blue Heron wondered by. The Great Blue Heron is one of my favorite birds, in fact I have painted this bird many times and this blog's top header has the Heron as its subject.


The Heron wasn't worried that I was near and kept  moving down the shore line looking for a meal while I took pictures. At first I thought he was searching for fish. 


But, I noticed that he was more interested with the foliage near the waters edge. 


The Heron would occasionally freeze and then quickly pick at the green leaves. 


Here you can see the Heron ready to strike. I could never get a photo of the target, but I could see what the Heron was after......


 
Very Small Frogs! That's what it appeared to be. I guess you could say the Great Blue Heron enjoys Surf and Turf because the frog is both? 
Get away from the big screen and get on a big stream!

No comments: