Monday, February 17, 2014

A knock at the door

Today while at home, I heard a knock at the door. I opened the front door and found that no one was there and I wondered what caused the sound. When I looked down, I found a small Carolina Chickadee lying on its back near the edge of the first step that leads into the house. The bird was not moving and its legs were held tightly against its body. Apparently, the Chickadee had crashed into the side windows that are on each side of our front door, probably thinking it was an opening that it could fly through.   

I decided to pickup the little fellow so that I could place it in the yard, thinking that it may have just knocked its self out and would fly off. As I went to scoop the bird up, it began to move. When I put the chickadee on the ground it began to stand and flex its wings, but still not totally aware. I watched it for a few minutes and then I went back inside. After a while, I looked back outside to where I placed the small bird and found that the chickadee was gone.  I bet it had a headache. 

We have a bird feeder near this area and this may have contributed to the bird flying into the window. Interestingly, I have noticed a lot fewer chickadees at the feeder this year than in previous years. They say it is due to the severe winter because 50% of the chickadees can freeze to death during a cold winter. Well, it appears that this chickadee will make it for a while longer. Anyway, checkout my vintage style maps, custom or personalized.  
  

No comments: