Monday, February 13, 2017

Backlash....

I was looking through my dad's tackle box the other day and found some interesting stuff. I believe this is from the late 60s or early 70s. Can you believe fishing line for $.23 or 60 hooks for $.98. My father was old school, using only braided line and only baitcasting reels. The line weight was in the 25 lb. range. I remember casting his reel many times. Each time, I would reach back and cast a long cast, watching the bait zoom across the water and splash down. Unfortunately, I would look down at the reel and find "the mother of all backlashes". Have you ever tried to un-backlash a backlash? Well, it's like putting toothpaste back in the tube, after you've brushed your teeth.    

This is the reason, that I prefer to fish with an open faced reel. In fact, I was the typical 1960s fishing kid that grew up using a Zebco 202. This was a great reel for a kid, you almost couldn't destroy it. It was like the Energizer Bunny and kept going. I out grew the 202 as a teenager and moved to a wonder reel, a Mitchell 300. Ohoo, this was a smooth reel that would cast forever. It was like driving a red sports car with the top down and a hot blonde in the passenger seat, sort of. I still have that reel, but it has been taken out of service for posterity's sake. Anyway, this is my reel history...

Check-out my lake, river and bay maps at LeoLakes Treasured Decor Map! Great maps for the lake house. Also, makes a great gift for the fishermen.  www.LeoLakes.com




No comments: