Friday, January 17, 2014

Our Neighbors!

Not far from the back of our home (about 25 ft. from our back door), My wife discovered this nest about 10 feet above the ground. Luckily, I didn't wander near the nest during the summer time, because I am allergic to bee stings. In fact, so allergic that one sting and I will end up in the hospital. Anyway, it's likely that the nest was built last spring and we didn't see it until the winter when the leaves were gone. 

I did a little research and found that it's built by a Bald Faced Hornet and there stings are pretty nasty. This hornet is aggressive and will attack if you approach the nest. They average about 400 hornets and eat insects such as caterpillars, fly's, but little nectar. You know, there were almost no fly's around the house last summer. At this time of year, they say that there's no hornets in the nest, we shall see, because my goal is to remove the nest and bring it inside. I will let you know how this goes.

What's in your woods, lake, river or bay? Get out and find out!

No comments: