Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Lucy the Water Dog!

This is my dog in front of this Lake Champlain Map. It may look real, but this is not a real dog, it's stuffed. When I was a child, I had a dog named Lucy who loved the water and went on all of our adventures to the Lakes and Rivers. I keep this stuffed dog, also named Lucy the water dog, in my studio to remember all the fun that we had. 


This beautiful map of Lake Champlain is for a customer in Vermont. This decor map is large, 6ft-4in x 3ft-2in. and is gallery wrapped. The map is from a watercolor painting and is printed on canvas with archival inks. After printing, I come back and hand paint areas of the map to high light them, such as the birds etc...

Interestingly, I hide things in the waters. Folks love to search the waters looking for the hidden items. They are tiny, but they certainly make this map a conversational piece. 

One of the neat things that make my maps special, is that you can tell what time of day it is on the map. As shown, If the shadow is on the west side of the birds, then the sun is rising. If the shadow is on the east side of the birds, then the sun is setting.

I use waterfowl that are common for the lake area, such as Canadian Geese, Great Blue Heron, Bald Eagle etc... These three Canadian Geese appear to float over the map.  I try to name important area's on the lake, especially the islands, points, rivers etc... I added this sail boat to the picture because I thought it would make an interesting photo. Check the colors out of the lake. 

This map is gallery wrapped and the sides are 1-1/2 inches thick. The map actually wraps around the sides of the frame. You will find no road names, county, or state lines on my maps. I have found that folks enjoy traveling the roads with their eyes, while trying to get their bearing. I call this the "Leo Lakes gaze."

If you would love a great map or you know someone who lovers a lake, river or bay, then a treasured map from Leo Maps would make a great gift. Have it custom or personalized! Check-out my website below and remember: "Life is short, get away from the big screen and get on a big stream." Paddle over to LeoLakes.com
  



No comments: