Sunday, November 16, 2014

Cook Inlet Decor Map

I just complete a new map of Cook Inlet located in Alaska and if you look closely you may find a hidden mermaid in the waters of Cook Inlet below. What's the most interesting feature about Cook Inlet, I will tell you, but first a little about the inlet? The inlet stretches for about 180 miles with Anchorage located near the north end.
There are two active volcanoes located near Cook Inlet, Augustine and Mount Redoubt. There is an abundance of  oil and gas deposits around the Cook Inlet basin and many platforms dot the land and seascape.
Interestingly, Beluga whales can be seen in the inlet. Its been determined that these are an isolated stock that are genetically distinct and are on the endangered species list. As you can see, there's a lot of interesting features on Cook Inlet, but to me, the most interesting is Tidal bores. What are Tidal Bores, bugs, holes, caves? Nope, but it only happens in a few places on earth, one of these being Turnagain Arm near Anchorage.
A Tidal Bore is a large wave, up to 10 feet,  or many waves that move down the Turnagain Arm. Unlike most tides, Tidal Bores happen quickly. The largest bores occur after the lowest tides, due to the large amount of water rushing back into the inlet. There are scheduled times each day to see the bore. 
Folks actually surf on the incoming bore, but I bet it's a bit chilly. The best place to see a Tidal Bore is Beluga Point. If you are ever visiting Cook Inlet, check out the Tidal Bore.

See more of my treasured map www.LeoLakes.comRead what my customers are saying. "I was finally able to give my husband the map I bought for his birthday last night. I want you to know how beautiful it was and how touched he was by it. He loves this Lake. His family has a home there and when we are lucky we get away for a few days, it’s the only place we want to be. He actually had tears in his eyes. Thank you for the beautiful art work."

hide a tiny mermaid/fish in the waters of all my lake map paintings that folks love to search for. I call my maps treasured maps because most folks have that special body of water that they treasure. These maps make great Christmas gifts for the lake house owner, lake lover, or fisherman. I have over two hundred on my website that can be purchased right from the site, or I can do custom and personalizes lake, river or bay maps, too. If you would like to see more and read about my treasured maps go to LeoMaps.com
 



Remember: Life is short, get away from the big screen and get on a big stream, or at least enjoy one on the wall.

No comments: